A lock that times out but doesn't poll

Jive someone at microsoft.com
Mon Nov 29 14:15:42 EST 2004

"Peter Hansen" <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message
news:coe5l8$6l1$1 at utornnr1pp.grouptelecom.net...
> Jive wrote:
> > Oh, there will be no bugs.
>
> ??  What kind of a statement is that?

Humorous?  Imagine Carl Spackler in Caddy Shack saying, "Oh, there will be
no money."

> Seriously, why are you so confident about that?  Even if
> the code were trivial, we're talking *threads* here...

Two reasons:

1) I just know I can do it.  Argue with *that* logic!

B) Writing bug-free code is quite possible when the job is well-defined and
"from scratch."
It's when you have to modify a mess that it gets tricky.

I think a lot of programmers would be capable of writing bug-free code if
they just knew
it was possible and believed they could do it.  My programmers submit very
few bugs.

I've made some bugs in my day, but the odds are with me on this one.

But enough about me...  Read any good books lately?