Microsoft Patents 'IsNot'

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Nov 19 16:48:20 EST 2004

Peter Maas wrote:

> Isnot is semantically equivalent to the inequality operator which is
> some hundred years old. I doubt that this can be an approved patent,
> even under the liberal patent US laws.

Maybe it's not a technically *valid* patent, but that doesn't mean it
can't be approved.  The US  patent system has become appallingly lazy
about checking for things like prior art and obviousness.  (After all,
we're talking about the system that approved a patent on "one-click
purchasing"....)

The sad thing about this is that these patents can be challenged in
courts... but only if you can afford the legal budget necessary.  And
big corporations can afford to defend these patents, regardless of their
legal viability, well enough to prevent all but the most determined (and
well-heeled) challengers from actually getting a judgement on the actual
merits of the case.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International