Announce: csv_xs.py

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Nov 16 15:58:17 EST 2004

jarrodhroberson at yahoo.com (Y2KYZFR1) writes:

> > Can you explain what you liked about Perl's csv_xz package and/or didn't
> > like about Python's csv module that motivated you to write your own class?
> >
> > Thx,
> >
> > Skip
>
> I'm a native perl speaker, but at my last work i had to learn python, to
> edit some zope thinks (quite difficult).
>
> Now i wanna learn python for me and i often work with csv files with perl
> but now i wanna develop some python programs for csv file working.
> In this task i would extend the csv module for my needs but there i get any
> errors, so it was easier for me to develop a class which is like the perl
> one.
>
> hope it is ok
> Chris

If I interpret this correctly as "get many errors", then you're
throwing away one of the benefits Python has over Perl. Perl silently
does something implicit with errors in your data. Python requires that
they be dealt with explicitly. It may be that Perl does the right
thing for you. But in many cases, Perl *doesn't* do the right
thing. Python lets you decide how to deal with them, and makes that
explicit.

        <mike