How come wxPython isn't in the standard library?

BJörn Lindqvist bjourne at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 20:40:00 EST 2004

See: http://www.wxpython.org/quotes.php. especially:

"wxPython is the best and most mature cross-platform GUI toolkit,
given a number of constraints. The only reason wxPython isn't the
standard Python GUI toolkit is that Tkinter was there first." - Guido
van Rossum

Guess, that answers my question, but isn't "Tkinter was there first" a
very bad answer? :) It is kinda ugly too, so I wonder why it can't be
replaced? Or maybe another GUI library could complement it. IMHO,
having a good GUI library in the stdlib would make distributing GUI
apps much easier. Windows users (and many Linux users) doesn't like
searching the net to find and download lots of dependancies.

--
mvh Björn