Python switch for syntax checking

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Nov 19 18:27:04 EST 2004

Bengt Richter wrote:

>On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 12:08:00 -0800, Scott David Daniels <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org> wrote:
>

>>First, "python MyApp.py" does a syntax check anyway.  If MyApp is
>>not a main program, all you get is the syntax check.  As for main
>>

>??? What does "not a main program mean"? I'm not sure what you mean, e.g.,

I believe that Scott is referring to the difference between a file run
from the commandline, in which __name__ is set to "__main__", and a file
that's imported as a module, in which __name__ is set to the name of the
module, which is normally the filename minus the .py[c|o|d] extension.

Of course, this would also imply that Scott is presuming that one is
following the good programming practice of not putting any significant
code (other than function, class, and global variable definitions) at
module level, except where protected by an 'if __name__ == "__main__":'
statement.  That *is* good practice, and most people do it, but it's not
required so perhaps not a safe presumption...

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International