possible to pass python objects into java without jython?

Maurice LING mauriceling at acm.org
Tue Nov 9 22:55:27 EST 2004

> The simple answer is no. The complex answer is maybe, but not without
> some work on your part.
>
> As part of JPype I made the opposite : allow Python to use Java classes.
> That was easy as python is very dynamic.
>
> Going the other way around .... I don;t see how. The java part must want
> to receive a specific Java type. Even if that type is Object (the root
> of all object types in Java), tehre is no way for Python object to be
> one of those.
>
> Case #1 : the "main" program is in Python, and the Java type to be
> received is a Java interface. In that specific case, JPype
> (http://jpype.sourceforge.net) can help you. You can "wrap" your pO into
> the correct Java type and apss it in.
>
> Otherwise, as has been mantioned before, you will need some kind of
> remoting mechanism. Corba might provide a middle ground, or XML-RPC/SOAP.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Steve

Hi,

Referring to this scenario again.....

pA.py contains
imports (something non-pure python)
def A(n):
    ...(does something)...
    returns pO

pB.py comtains
import pA
def B(n):
    (does something)
    x = pA.A(n)
    (does more things)

Perhaps if we lax the problem a little and allow Jython to be in
consideration and pB.py is implemented in Jython (as jyB.py), then using
jythonc to convert it into a Java package (jyB.jar containing
jython.jar, jyB.class and jyB$Inner.class). Am I then able to import jyB
in my Java codes? Is it possible to use Jython as the middle ground,
instead of CORBA or SOAP etc etc?

Thanks
Maurice