Advice needed

Eddie Parker eddie at kickingdragon.com
Sat Nov 13 19:06:35 EST 2004

I think you hit a good point, Matt.

Python is a WICKED language for prototyping. I'm not saying that's ALL it's
good for, however it's a great way to start out.

Tuples, Dictionary's, easy to manipulate String functions, and code that
just makes sense (the tab-as-a-way-to-define-scope bit used to annoy me, but
in all honest, it's a "Good Thing" (TM)).

As for what Python can offer that the other languages can't, that's a
case-by-case comparison, and also has a dash of personal preference for
flavour.

Personally: I agree with Matt. But to add to it: vs. Perl and VB, I like
Python as it has a nicer syntax, cleaner looking code, and more "space" in
the code - i.e., you don't need to write so much to get a lot of
functionality out of it.

I find myself using Python as a way to figure out something, when I don't
know what the problem scope is. Sometimes, my work STAYS in Python, when I'm
done, but if it's performance critical, you can always use the concept to
write it in C/C++, or you can even use something like Python's ability to
embed in C/C++ to farm out the performance bottlenecks, or Jython, if you're
a Java person (never used Jython, just saying it's an option. :)).

Anyhow - you can't go wrong with Python, in my opinion. But I'm rather
heavily biased.

I'm also always right, however. :) (Jus' kidding). :)

-e-