RELEASED Python 2.4 (final)

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Nov 30 16:02:19 EST 2004

Morten Lied Johansen wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:31:34 +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
>
>>On behalf of the Python development team and the Python community, I'm
>>happy to announce the release of Python 2.4.
>

> Question from a noob:
>
> I have several third party python-modules installed on my current
> Windowssystem, and I was wondering if there is a way to upgrade to
> Python 2.4 without having to download and install all of those again?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestions. :)

If they're pure Python, done as standard packages with no
special dependencies etc, you could just copy their folders
from the lib/site-packages folder of your old Python to the
equivalent place in the new one.

If they're not, it may still be possible, but downloading
and installing may be easier.

My approach is to maintain a folder with the original .exe
files for each package I install, separate from everything
else.  When I upgrade, I just run them again and select
Python 2.4 as the destination, and I don't have to worry
about extracting them from the old version.

If, by the way, these packages include C extensions, you
definitely have to download new ones and install from
scratch...

-Peter