Python's annoyance.

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Sun Nov 28 16:06:44 EST 2004

Giovanni Bajo wrote:
> caroundw5h wrote:
>

>>Serioulsy, one of python's main selling points is its elegant syntax,
>>non perl like, non C like. If it can't live up to it. I guess i might
>>as well use perl or ruby or server side javascript.
>>how annoying.
>

> In fact, I find the decorator syntax awful. But I know this was already
> discussed to a large extent, so there must be a very good reason to use @.
> Which I totally miss, but hey.

I was just recently talking to someone about PHP, and he said that
everyone agreed that PHP 5 needed namespaces, but no one could agree on
the syntax.  So they left it out.  Which is bad, because PHP *really*
needed this feature, but they simply lacked the decision process which
could make it happen.

So it's good that we have a decision process (benevolent dictator) which
can actually move on in the face of wide disagreement on smaller points.
  (Other people think we don't need the decorator syntax at all, but
that's another discussion; even there, we are again relying on Guido's
intuition on the matter)

--
Ian Bicking  /  ianb at colorstudy.com  / http://blog.ianbicking.org