Python OS

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Sun Nov 7 15:22:08 EST 2004

"Diez B. Roggisch" <deetsNOSPAM at web.de> writes:

> For example you can't write a OS for the JAVA VM, as there is no such things
> like interrupts defined for it - instead IO happends "magically" and is
> dealt with on the low level with the underlying OS. The VM only consumes
> the results.

OS's have been written for VMs (LISP and Forth) that didn't have the
notion of interrupt before they were built. For LISPMs, interrupt
handlers are LISP objects (*). Java may not be as powerful as LISP,
but I'm pretty sure you could turn interrupts into method invocations
without having to extend the VM.

    <mike

(*) <URL: http://home.comcast.net/%7Eprunesquallor/memo444.htm >,
under the section on Stack Groups.