Delphi underrated, IDE clues for Python

John johng2001 at rediffmail.com
Tue Nov 30 15:16:47 EST 2004

"Caleb Hattingh" <caleb1 at telkomsa.net> wrote in message news:<opsh5mkisz1js0xs at news.telkomsa.net>...
> thx, I already have and use PythonForDelphi (and am on the mailing list).
>
> It works very well indeed, my impression is that Python-Delphi connection
> is even easier than Python-C integration (e.g. via SWIG, etc), due once
> again to the Delphi IDE.  Drag-n-drop in the IDE gets you python code in
> your delphi code, or delphi units/objects accessible in python.
>
> However, Delphi is not platform indpendent (which is important for me as I
> use a different OS at work and at home), and I don't know if
> PythonForDelphi supports Kylix.  I am fairly sure it doesn't support
> Lazarus, which IS platform independent, but not as feature-rich as Delphi.
>
> Btw, on the SHOOTOUT page, you'll see that the Delphi rank for LOC is 28.
> This number is pretty meaningless in practice because the IDE does a lot
> of code generation for you.  More interesting would have been to see the
> rank for LOC you have to type yourself...
>
> On 27 Nov 2004 05:17:38 -0800, bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>
> > Delphi is a very good language, and quite fast too:
> > http://dada.perl.it/shootout/delphi.html
> >

> > Caleb Hattingh>STILL...Having a Delphi-like IDE for Python would make me
> > giddy.
> >
> > Maybe here you can find a way to use both at the same time:
> > http://www.atug.com/andypatterns/pythonDelphiTalk.htm
> > http://membres.lycos.fr/marat/delphi/python.htm
> >
> > Bearophile

Python + Delphi is pretty much the Zen of programming  for me, for
now. Both excel in what they try to accomplish, stand at opposite ends
of the spectrum, yet compliment each other beautifully.
PythonForDelphi is the only language embedding I have done without any
stress recently.

When I make GUI software, I only do it for MS Windows. So portability
is not an issue. I have not moved to Delphi.NET because Python gives
everything missing from Delphi and I can have best of both the worlds
while still having a fast, very rich (thanks to all those VCL
freeware) and responsive GUI and under 2-3 MB distribution. For same
reasons, I never really made a full blown GUI app with any Python
bindings. It's just too easy to design a GUI with Delphi and write
Windows specific code.

I wish Borland focussed more in this direction. Bruce Eckel has been
saying for quite a while that Borland should bring their IDE expertise
to make a Python IDE.

I think Python For Delphi module is grossly under rated like Delphi.