thread, threading; how to kill a thread?

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Wed Nov 17 16:48:14 EST 2004

Peter Hansen wrote:
> Ian Bicking wrote:
>
>> I might reiterate this request, but knowing the standard answer (you
>> can't) -- what if I *really* want to?
>

> It looks to me sort of as if you are actually reiterating the
> request above... but then going ahead and answering your own
> question.  Is that what happened here?  Because if it isn't,
> I'm not sure what other answer one could give....

It's more, "yes, I know the answer, but I remain unsatisfied".  I'm 100%
okay with a platform-specific way to accomplish this (especially if the
platform is Linux and BSD).  I'm okay with horrid hacks, or memory
leaks, or other possible compromises.  But I'm not really okay with the
standard answer.  And so I'm hoping someone else felt the same way and
figured something out...?