Help for a newbie in Python and ZODB

Thomas Guettler guettli at thomas-guettler.de
Mon Nov 22 10:07:24 EST 2004

Am Sun, 21 Nov 2004 23:41:39 -0800 schrieb Jean-Louis Nespoulous:

> Hello everybody,
> I am in charge to develop a system who will analyse a network, type
> Three-Tier Architecture. I would like to use ZODB or (exclusive)
> PostgreSQL. But I don't know witch one to use?

> Someone could help me
> and tell me what are the differencies between ZODB and PostgreSQL?

PostgreSQL is a relational database. You store data in tables which
have columns and rows. You access it with SQL. PostgreSQL supports
inheritance, but you still need some mapping between your objects and the
database. You can access postgres with any programming language.

> My system will be developped in Java. If I use ZODB how I'll make the
> transition with Python?

If you use Java, you can't use ZODB.

ZODB stores pickled (serialized) objects.
Here you don't need a mapping between objects and database.
SQL makes no sense with ZODB. The query language is python.

HTH,
 Thomas