Python for Reverse Engineering

Brad Tilley rtilley at vt.edu
Fri Nov 5 21:40:04 EST 2004

A friend of mine wrote an algorithm that generates strings. He says that
it's impossible to figure out exactly how the algorithm works. That may
be true, but I think if I had enough sample strings that I could write a
program to identify patterns in the strings and then produce strings
with similar patterns. He disagrees with me. He gave me 100 strings to
analyze.

I wrote a script to read each string and build a list of characters
present. I've discovered that he only uses 20 alpha/numeric chars to
generate the strings and that each string sums up to a value between
1000 and 1200 when I assign each char in the string its ASCII value.

What else might I do to analyze these things? As it stands now, I can
generate an acceptable string on ever 100th attempt or so, but I'd like
to do better than this.

-b