sockets: How to know when your data is sent

Jp Calderone exarkun at divmod.com
Thu Nov 11 10:05:00 EST 2004

On 11 Nov 2004 06:46:45 -0800, mederis at hotmail.com (Marc Ederis) wrote:
>Richie Hindle <richie at entrian.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.6214.1100100615.5135.python-list at python.org>...
> > If you want to ensure that all the data has been sent before *closing* the
> > socket, which sounds like Marc's requirement, you can use
> > setsockopt(SO_LINGER):
> >
> >        SO_LINGER
> >               Sets  or gets the SO_LINGER option. The argument is
> >               a linger structure.
> >
> >               struct linger {
> >                   int   l_onoff;    /* linger active */
> >                   int   l_linger;   /* how many seconds to linger for */
> >               };
> >
> >               When enabled, a close(2) or  shutdown(2)  will  not
> >               return  until  all  queued  messages for the socket
> >               have been successfully sent or the  linger  timeout
> >               has been reached. Otherwise, the call returns imme�
> >               diately and the closing is done in the  background.
> >               When  the  socket  is closed as part of exit(2), it
> >               always lingers in the background.
> >
> > (from the GNU manpages).  I don't believe that's true for shutdown() on
> > all platforms, but I do believe it's true for close() / closesocket().
> > Calling it from Python is a bit of a chore involving the struct module,
> > and is left as an exercise for the reader.  8-)
>
> SO_LINGER... Interesting, I'll keep that in mind for the future. In
> the end, acknowledging receipt of the data, as it was arriving at the
> server, turned out to be the best solution for me. I wanted to be able
> to show a progress bar (at the client) of the data being sent.

  All this talk of fun socket options is neat, but I'd like to suggest you stick with your current instinct, as you decided for now and in the future.

  SO_LINGER only lets you know that the peer has ACK'd your data.  This means, typically, that it reached a kernel buffer.  It says nothing about the application level, and the application level is all you really care about.

  Doing application-level ACKs is the only really reliable way to know if your data was received.

  Jp