tkinter gnuplot

Fernando Perez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 10 22:29:38 EST 2004

Fábio Mendes wrote:

> Or even scipy. It's a great scientific library and I think it uses
> gnuplot as one of the graphical frontends (http://scipy.org) . I'm not
> sure if it allows you to pass arbitrary gnuplot commands, but if you
> want to build such a thing, surely the source could be helpful.

The gnuplot support in scipy is more or less deprecated, as scipy has a new
framework (Chaco) coming down the pipe, and much of today's scipy user base is
moving over to matplotlib.

For the diehard gnuplot users (a group I happen to still belong to), Gnuplot.py
offers a pretty clean interface.  IPython (http://ipython.scipy.org) adds a
fair amount of functionality to make interactive gnuplot work much more
efficient, as well as simplifying some common tasks with a better syntax.

But again, the problem is that gnuplot was not meant to be embedded as a Tk
widget, which was the OP's intent.  The tkcanvas terminal type is an intriguing
option, but I have no idea how hard (if it's even possible) it would be to use
that in a Python/Tkinter application.

Best,