Zope 3.0, and why I won't use it

Doug Holton insert at spam.here
Wed Nov 17 11:10:00 EST 2004

Alex Martelli wrote:
> Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>

>>>  Guido has repeatedly stated that a future version of Python will
>
> include static type support.  The Zope project has driven numerous past
> changes to Python.  What's funny about this?
>
>>For the record, I'm against static typing for Python, although,
>>if Guido decides he wants it, I have an open mind. :)
>

> Glad to hear that.  As for me, I'd love it if function arguments, only,
> could bear an 'as' clause (making 'as' a keyword is long overdue):
>
> def x(y as foo, z as bar):

I know many people here already know about this, but you can use this
syntax in boo:

def foo(y as int, z as bool) as bool:

You can also use attributes (similar to decorators):

def foo([required(value > 3)] value as int):
	pass

http://boo.codehaus.org/

If anyone here familiar with Zope, mod_python, etc. ever tries out boo
and ASP.NET (or Mono's XSP/mod_mono), I'd appreciate you sharing any
notes about it on the boo mailing list to help others getting started.