arrays

Duncan Booth duncan.booth at invalid.invalid
Sun Nov 21 07:00:04 EST 2004

Isaac To wrote:

>     Rahul> Hi.  Is there someway i can get something similar to
>     Rahul> multi-dimensional arrays in python.I dont want to use
>     Rahul> Numarray.
>
> Is an array of array sufficient?  Thinks like [[0]*5]*3.

You were right to call that an array of array (singular): what you
suggested creates a list containing 3 references to the same list. I
suspect the OP is much more likely to want an array of arrays (plural).

The cleanest way these days is to use a list comprehension for all but the
innermost list (provided the initial value is immutable):

[[0]*5 for i in range(3)]

or, if you want something mutable or more complex for an initial value you
can just use list comprehensions throughout e.g.:

[ [(i*100+j) for i in range(5)] for j in range(3) ]