Microsoft Patents 'IsNot'

Lenard Lindstrom len-1 at telus.net
Wed Nov 24 13:04:03 EST 2004

Greg Ewing <greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> writes:

> Lenard Lindstrom wrote:
> > So Delphi is definitely not BASIC-derived. It is BASIC-like in that various
> > basic dialects, including QBasic, came to support the structured programming
> > that Pascal was designed from the beginning to teach.
>
> So it would be more accurate to say that those Basic
> dialects are, in those respects, Pascal-like...

By saying Delphi is BASIC-like I just mean that many languages have come
to resemble each, having adopted many of the same features. But it was
definitely Basic that did most of the adopting. So yes, more precisely,
Basic has become more Pascal-like. I was just giving the patent applicants
a minor benefit of a doubt.

Lenard Lindstrom
<len-l at telus.net>