dictionary initialization

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Nov 26 16:34:42 EST 2004

"BJörn Lindqvist" <bjourne at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:740c3aec04112613043a0b0d2b at mail.gmail.com...

> Maybe Python can't guess it, but *I* can guess, with 99% certainity,
> that the user wants x to be 0. :)

However, it is 'obvious' to me that the 'proper' initialization is 1 and
the intended result should be 5.  Or that the programmer forgot something
and that the proper response is to raise an error, as Python does.  Wanting
5 * undisclosed something to be 0 strikes me as unlikely and a distant
third since x = 0 is much easier to say.

Also: 'x op= y' is defined as being semantically equal to 'x = x op y'
except for the single rather than double evaluation of x.  Therefore, if
the latter raises an error for unbound x, so should the former.

Terry J. Reedy