why python is slower than java?

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Sun Nov 7 18:36:19 EST 2004

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:33:01 +1100, Maurice LING <mauriceling at acm.org> wrote:

>> dude that "comparision" from twistedmatrix you refrence is ANCIENT!!!
>
>I am wondering the impact when IBM decided that the base memory to not
>exceed 64kb, in the late 1960s...
>
>I suppose more experienced people in this list can agree that certain
>decisions made can be almost an edict. So, there is a re-building
>process every now and then, hopefully to by-pass such edicts. Python
>itself is already such an example.
>

>> it is comparing versions that are YEARS out of date and use!
>
>Are the codebase of Python 1.5.2 and Java 1.1 totally replaced and
>deprecated?
>
>Lisp compiler is the 1st compiler to be created (according to the
>Red-Dragon book, I think) and almost all others are created by
>bootstrapping to LISP compiler. What are the implications of design
>decisions made in LISP compiler then affecting our compilers today? I
>don't know. I repeat myself, I DO NOT KNOW.

google is your friend. I would suggest prefixing "UIAM" to statements
or strong implications of "fact" that you are not really sure of ;-)
Perhaps you are not familiar with the various typical ways of softening
the assertiveness of statements in English? I notice several statements
above that start out looking like authoritative statements of fact, but
which you qualify in your way, yet it seems you were unsatisfied with
the effect, and added the last sentence.

"We are all ignorant, only on different subjects", as (UIAM ;-) Will Rogers
said. But here at c.l.py it is unlikely that all are totally ignorant on a
particular computer language subject, so if you post an unqualified statement
of "fact" (or slip an implicit statement of "fact" into a question, as in the
subject line of this thread ;-) that may not be so, someone will notice,
and wonder why you are doing that (since you haven't annnounced that you're
a political candidate ;-)

One reason might be language difficulties, but your English is too good
for that to jump immediately to mind.

Another reason might be forgetting that posting here is actually engaging other
human beings, and thinking of c.l.py posts as a kind of automated google
mechanism which has no feelings about how it is being used. But humans do care,
and provocative techniques of eliciting response do "provoke." Kids intent on
their immediate goals sometimes forget, but generally respond to a gentle reminder.

Another reason might be to spread disinformation for some private reason,
e.g. as a sleazy way to discredit competition. I don't think that applies here.
Or are you heavily invested in particular stocks? ;-)

Anyway, I think the best we can do is to help each other find out what the
real facts are, which requires not presenting suppositions as fact, while
recognizing that appearances are often deceiving to even the most experienced.
In that spirit, we wind up expressing doubts without bruising egos, and thanking
each other for contributions to improved understanding instead of defending against
feeling a fool for having believed something that was not so, or being annoyed
at careless spread of disinformation.

(of course, I haven't personally verified the "facts" stated in the
following sites ;-)

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CommonLisp
"""
The first Lisp compiler was developed by JohnMcCarthy at Dartmouth College
between 1955 and 1959. This makes it the second oldest programming language
in common use today (only Fortran is older, developed between 1954 and 1957).
"""

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/fortran/ch1-1.html
"""
 This wonderful first FORTRAN compiler was designed and written from
 scratch in 1954-57 by an IBM team lead by John W. Backus and staffed with
 super-programmers like Sheldon F. Best, Harlan Herrick, Peter Sheridan,
 Roy Nutt, Robert Nelson, Irving Ziller, Richard Goldberg, Lois Haibt
 and David Sayre.  By the way, Backus was also system co-designer of the
 computer that run the first compiler, the IBM 704.
"""
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/philosophy/phimvt/sympas/s49hiteco.html
http://www.moorecad.com/standardpascal/pcom.pas

Regards,