asynchat and threading

Anthony Baxter anthonybaxter at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:31:17 EST 2004

On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 14:57:44 GMT, Rob Snyder <arkham at gmail.com> wrote:
> Greetings -
>
> I've embarked on a small learning project, trying to get a better grasp of
> the asyncore and asynchat modules. The project involves building a simple
> instant messenger application for use on our LAN - nothing heavy duty, as
> 99% of my reason for doing this is just to learn.

I can only paraphrase what I said in a recent python-dev thread -
absolutely *no-one* should be starting new projects using asyncore and
asynchat. Use twisted, instead - it's cleaner, saner, has an active
development community, and is in all ways a better solution than the
asyncore approach.

asyncore based code causes bleeding from the eyes and brain leakage
through the ears.