PEP: import version

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri May 14 12:19:40 EDT 2004

A. Lloyd Flanagan wrote:
> Using multiple versions in one program sounds like a recipe for
> disaster to me, even with some sort of language support.  Also, we
> shouldn't make the normal single-version case more complex or less
> efficient to support a case that should be extremely rare.

This is a tricky one. I was just suggesting that while it is clear that
for wxPython, you'd NEVER be able to run more than one version, that
possibility should be considered for other packages. I'm imagining a
module that uses a given package and version for some internal purpose.
A user of that module may have no idea what packages it is using, and
may happen to want to use the same package, different version. Unless
data types from that package are being passed between he two versions,
this could certainly work.

However, you may be right that this is a recipe for disaster, and the
user of that module simply needs to test with the version they are
using,a nd if it fails, get an updated version of the module, so that
the whole program is using the same versions of everything.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov