Python Newbie

Brian blugerz at yahoo.com
Fri May 21 18:34:55 EDT 2004

Hi I am new to this newsgroup and new to programming.  I have had this
interest in learning to program because.......well just because.  It's
just a curiosity that I have.  The reason I am starting with Python,
well some of the websites I went to recommended Python, so here I am.
Ok on to the question.

I am currently using the book "Python programming for absolute
beginners" by Michael Dawson.  The program I am working on is a
password program....dont laugh I know it's really simple to some, but
I am kinda stuck.  The book shows how to code a password program like
this:

password = raw_input("Enter your password:")

if password == "secret":
     print "Access Granted"
else:
     print "Access Denied"

raw_input("Press the enter key to exit")

Ok that is easy enough I understand what is going on here.  As the
book goes on it also talks about elif, and while loops.  At the end of
the chapter it gives various challenges that the reader is asked to
complete.  One of the challenges is to take the password program from
above and change it so that the user gets only three attempts to enter
the correct password.  Well I ain't got it to work yet, I thought I
came close, but no cigar.  This is what I have so far:
#Limiting password atempts to three

password = raw_input("Enter your Password: ")
count = 0

while password != "secret":
     print password = raw-input("Enter your Password: ")
     count += 1

if password == "secret":
     print "Welcome in."

elif count > 3:
     print "Please come back when you remember your Password."

else:
     raw_input("Press enter to exit.")

Ok, I know I may be way off course here but any help would be greatly
appreciated.  I dont want to get frustrated and say the heck with it,
especially if it is something minor.  Thanks in advance.