terminological obscurity

Aahz aahz at pythoncraft.com
Sat May 22 14:08:27 EDT 2004

In article <L6erc.519686$Pk3.412259 at pd7tw1no>,
Elaine Jackson <elainejackson7355 at home.com> wrote:

>A question about terminology ('namespace'):

>At this point, does the object formerly known as prince belong to
>the namespace implemented by globals()? More generally, is there a
>terminological way to distinguish between (1) a function from a set of
>names into a set of objects, and (2) the aforementioned set of objects?

Objects don't have a namespace, only names and attributes do.  Names are
bound to objects.  All objects are global to the entire interpreter (not
just within a module by the usual meaning of "global").

It's not clear to me what your (1) and (2) are supposed to refer to.

>Is there a handy noun that refers to sameness of identity in the same
>way that 'equality' refers to sameness of value? ('Identicalness' is
>pretty clumsy, and 'identity' is confusing, since it already has a
>meaning that is closely related but needs to be kept distinct.)

"Identity"

>A question about terminology ('name'):
>
>Suppose X is a container that contains n items (incidentally, is
>'items' the right term?) and i in an integer with 0<=i<=n. Does " X[i]
>" count as a 'name'?

"Item" or "element" are both correct.  X[i] is a target.  See the
Language Reference, section 6.3.

Adopt A Process -- stop killing all your children!