tkinter problem ...

Threeseas threeseas-AT at earthlinkDOT.net
Sat May 15 15:56:44 EDT 2004

Adelein and Jeremy wrote:
> I just recently posted about this very same problem. In fact, I had
> dug a lot deeper, and even "fixed" the problem for my platform
> (RedHat 8.0/9.0), but I am left very unsatisfied. The fix I use is
> incredibly crufty, requiring an environment variable to be set so
> that the proper library path is used - every time I want to run
> python. I never received a response to my post, and I am tempteed to
> believe that there is a bug, but as I have not read *every* bit of
> documentation, config file notes, and source code, I am not going to
> go claiming so. Oh and by the way, IDLE still won't work correctly -
> my fix simply allows me to import Tkinter in the interpreter (not
> even in a script).
>
> I know there must be a better way, because I have never experienced
> any problems with tkinter/idle/python before v2.2, so I am ignorant
> of something, and I am even ignorant of what that something is. Or
> maybe it really is that there is a usability bug in that the
> installer assumes it knows where tcl and tk libraries are, instead of
> looking. But I just don't know enough to say so authoritatively, and
> your problem may be different than mine (as may be your platform).
>
> Strangely, I have seen on this list some saying that tk is dying off,
> and that we should use wxPython. But tk is usable by Tcl, Perl, Java,
> Scheme, and a few others, and I doubt that wxPython has that going
> for it, so I remain incredulous. Also, IDLE is written for tk, not
> for wxPython. Your problem is definitely what the previous respondant
> said, viz., you are either missing the tk library interface file (eg,
> tklib.so or tklib.dll), or your Python can't find it. I hope for your
> own sanity that the problem is the former only and not the latter, as
> this has caused me a lot of grief lately.
>
> I wish you better luck, and request that whatever the problem, you
> post back with specifics about it and its solution should you find
> such a solution.
>
> - Jeremy

I too have run into this problem and in my search for the answer or a
solution I went to IRC freenode #python.

The response I received was of arrogance and ignorance as one in the
power to do so, kick ban me. This only goes to show that python is
attracting some real assholes in power play positions, who don't really
have any idea about the subject matter.

Programming is the act of automating complexity so as to make it easy
for the user to use and reuse the complexity. Programming is a very
recursive act as shown in any programming language above machine
language. And it is by this recursive nature of the programming
objective that suggest that the solution to getting a code development
tool up (ironically) and properly operational should be one much simpler
than pulling teeth, for which it apparently becomming a programming
contridiction.