is it a daemon? how to create such a thing...

Valia valia02004 at yahoo.fr
Fri May 14 10:02:09 EDT 2004

hello all,

here is something i would like to do, i think this can be done with a
daemon or something like named pipe or even a daemon waiting its input
from named pipe? do not know.

please can you help me and tell is this a good way to do it ? and also
maybeme some starting points (it is still too confused for me to
google anything) or simple examples.

- i have a huge pairs list, (a python dict), some kind of
replacements[a] -> 'a value',
- i had small scripts that use this 'replacements dict' to do many
processing, by now they all read(line) it at each execution. but it is
far too slow for my needs.

so i wonder if i could have some kind of process/script which would
load this list once and then wait for the smaller scripts theirs
queries about replacements pairs and answer them. i imagine this have
to do with daemon programming but i'm brand new to it, and also i just
need the simpler piece of code to do that (it is for a quick
experiment, my aim is not to create an apache server framework :) )

(and i'm only concerned by a linux version)