make faster Richards benchmark

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Fri May 14 16:55:43 EDT 2004

Meno wrote:

> On AMD XP 2500 and 512 MB RAM: gone from 855430 ticks to 503353 ticks
> with psyco. That is I think 41% less time.
>
> Peter, note that getting it to run twice as fast "only" means 50% less
> time. Maybe that is what you should compare with your 38%...

Thanks for the comparison.  When I say 38% speedup, I mean a
reduction in time of 27%, or I mean it now runs at 73% of
the time it used to.  We _are_ using the same meaning for
"speedup" here...

My raw numbers are 862806 ticks beforehand, which corresponds
reasonably well with your value.  After inserting the two lines
"import psyco" and "psyco.full()" as the very first lines in
the file, I get 627476 ticks.  Am I putting it in the wrong
place?  (Also tried it at the end just before the call to
main() with no difference.)

-Peter