terminological obscurity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Sun May 23 19:30:37 EDT 2004

On Sun, 23 May 2004 16:13:14 -0000, "Donn Cave" <donn at drizzle.com>
wrote:

>I don't know what you mean by `outside the "tuple" sense of the word",
>but in a way I think that may be nearly the problem.  Of course if you
>consider these objects on their own, the contents of the tuple but
>isolated from that context, they're as homogeneous as you could want,
>in fact they would be the very same object.
>
>But (I hope) no one articulating this point of view says "homogeneous
>data", or "homogeneous contents", etc.

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2003-March/033964.html

Qutoeth Guido:

"Tuples are for heterogeneous data, list are for homogeneous data."

I have been trying to stict meticulously to his terminology, because
my understanding is that is why it is being used.

Lists are for homogenous data, with homogenous data defined as data
that under some cricumstance might be sensibly used in a list.

I routinely use lists to hold instances of different classes.

The classes in the lists are fully homogenous.

 I wrote them all ;)

Art