String/source code analysis tools

Ira Baxter idbaxter at semdesigns.com
Sat May 8 15:25:45 EDT 2004

"Moosebumps" <moosebumps at moosebumps.com> wrote in message
news:j0Khc.25133$Q%5.6444 at newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> I have a whole bunch of script files in a custom scripting "language" that
> were basically copied and pasted all over the place -- a huge mess,
> basically.
>
> I want to clean this up using Python -- and I'm wondering if there is any
> sort of algorithm for detecting copied and pasted code with slight
> modifications.

Not in Python, but could be used to do this.
We offer a clone detection tool that works on very large source code basis,
and detects cloned clone with "slight modifications".
You'd have to provide a grammar for your 'scripting language'.
See http://www.semanticdesigns.com/Products/Clone/index.html.

--
Ira D. Baxter, Ph.D., CTO   512-250-1018
Semantic Designs, Inc.      www.semdesigns.com