VIM and tab to space migration

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Wed May 5 07:50:08 EDT 2004

Right now I'm working in an environment where tabs were mandated as the
indentation style for Python. I've managed to persuade everyone to
switch to 4 space indentation.

The problem is that we now have a migration problem. Most of our
develoeprs are using VIM which, AFAIK, is not intelligent enough to
detect the current indentation style of a file. Modifying all of our
source files at once to use spaces and then getting everyone to change
their .vimrc is a posibility but not desirable because everyone would
have to check in their work (whatever it's state) at the time of
migration. Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally, there would be
some way to tell VIM to use the file's exsiting indentation style. That
way I could slowly switch to spaces over time.

Cheers,
Brian