MySQL vrs SQLite

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Fri May 7 12:54:10 EDT 2004

[Dave]
> [long and reasonable argument snipped]

> Surely you don't expect him to assume that since he already
> uses Python, a dynamically typed (read: not *typeless*) language, he does
> not need to consider the repercussions that switching from MySQL to SQLite
> will have on his program, because of a few weak analogies and claims of
> brain-fitting?

Not at all.  I wasn't advocating blindly accepting typelessness as something
that doesn't need to be considered.  I was saying that many of the same
practices that go into writing a decent Python application also apply to
using a typeless database.  To put it another way: although it might at
first appear that there's a whole slew of new dangers involved, in fact
they're mostly the same dangers that Python programmers are already familiar
with.  Having read your arguments, I still think that's true.

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com