terminological obscurity

Arthur ajsiegel at optonline.com
Mon May 24 03:35:05 EDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 05:54:11 -0000, "Donn Cave" <donn at drizzle.com>
wrote:

>It's too bad if he said that.  I think it has not led to mass confusion
>because if one interpretation of that 10 word summary makes it an utterly
>absurd proposition, most people are inclined to give him enough credit
>to look for another interpretation.

We agree as to the dynamics at work.

But seem to have different feelings about it.

I honestly don't know what he meant here, or how seriously he meant
it.

But there have been other instances, on other issues, where it has
been clearer to me what he meant. Some of those issues were of more
significance, to me, than this.  And guess what, it was my conclusion
that he was simply and utterly wrong.  And felt myself to be arguing
within a community that seemed to find it necessary to find him right,
by any means necessary.

Even where it took the form, in my eyes, of bizarre contortions and
the defiance of common sense

It - as I had said at the time - gave me the willies.

Art