Prothon vs. Python integers

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue May 25 08:38:21 EDT 2004

Mark Hahn <mark at prothon.org> wrote:
>No economy is ever going to to have a gdp of 10**19 pennies.

Turkey's is around 10**18 lira (obtained from 2002 GDP in $ and
current exchange rate). You could argue that by the time they
hit 10**19 they'll have got EU membership and gone over to the
Euro....

(Japan's GDP appears to be around 10**16Y, BTW.)

Given the number of times we see newbies confused by Python's
handling of floating points, it strikes me that silent conversion
of overflowing ints to doubles is asking for trouble somewhere
down the line, and should be avoided if possible.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"