"Extracting" a dictionary

Daniel Klein bringa at gmx.at
Mon May 17 14:58:57 EDT 2004

Hello,

I'm quite new to Python, and since a not-so-superficial look into the
docs didn't answer my question (although it still feels quite basic), I
decided to turn to this place:

Is there a way to 'extract' a dictionary into the current namespace?
That is, if you have
{'foo' : 23, 'bar' : 42}
you would get a variable foo with value 23 and a variable bar with value
42? Such a function would of course only work on string keys and would
probably have to check that, but still, it sounds practical enough that
surely someone else thought of it before.

Daniel