import question

Ksenia Marasanova ksenia at ksenia.nl
Sun May 9 10:15:56 EDT 2004

Hi list,

I'd appreciate any advice on the following:

In the "live" environment, I have some Python scripts which make use of
Python packages. The directory structure is something like that:
/live/
/live/py/
/live/lib/

There is a .pth file in the Python site-packages directory, which
contains "/live/lib".
In the scripts, packages are imported with a normal import statement,
like this:

from module.submodule import someclass

Nothing unusual.

Now I want to use the same server for "staging" environment. The
additional directory structure will be:
/staging/
/staging/py/
/staging/lib/

After testing, files will be copied from "staging" to "live".
Now my question: what would be the proper way to construct the import
statement, so no modifications will be needed when copying files? I
first thought about relative import (from ..lib import something) , but
it seems not (yet) to be an option :-)

Appreciate any tips!

Thanx,
Ksenia.