Python for Large Projects

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun May 16 09:43:25 EDT 2004

Ixokai wrote:

> There is some concern that if we do this same
> thing with Python, the performance hit of loading an interpreted environment
> over the shared filesystem will be prohibitive. Some basic testing has made
> this seem to be the case.

Just focusing on this one point: it doesn't make sense to me that
this would be the case, and in my experience it is not.  The
interpreter (python23.dll for example on Win32) is less than 1MB
and that's basically _tiny_ these days.  We always had a single
shared instance of Python and never noticed more than a small
fraction of second delay compared to loading it locally.  This
was a network with only about fifteen developers as users, and
100MBps throughout, but I would think almost any program these
days is going to be 1MB or more, so I can't see that Python has
any disadvantage in this area.

-Peter