Unification of Methods and Functions

David MacQuigg dmq at gain.com
Thu May 6 07:50:39 EDT 2004

On Thu, 06 May 2004 18:12:18 +1200, Greg Ewing
<greg at cosc.canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:

>David MacQuigg wrote:
>> Explanation of Instance Variables in Python
>> """  Some of the variables inside the functions in a class have a
>> self. prefix.  This is to distinguish local variables in the function
>> from "instance variables".  These instance variables will be found
>> when the function is called...
>
>Just because a particular writer uses more waffle than
>necessary to explain something about Python doesn't mean
>the thing being explained is complicated enough to require
>that many words.

We disagree on what is "waffle" and what are beneficial extra words.
Your explanation, to me, seems more like a "man page" than a textbook
explanation.

For a more complete discussion of this topic, with some alternative
paragraphs, see the thread "Explanation of Instance Variables in
Python", 4/28/04.

-- Dave