Debuggin a ptyhon extension

Jerry Gamache jerryg at softimage.com
Mon May 10 20:38:50 EDT 2004

On Fri, 07 May 2004 21:06:05 +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:

> - Grab the pywin32 source from CVS, and build it with distutils by
> entering 'python setup_win32all.py build' in the command prompt.  This
> builds everything in release mode, which takes quite some time.  Build
> in debug mode with 'python setup_win32all.py build -g'.  Now create a
> windows installer by 'python setup_win32all.py bdist_wininst'.

I found out that setting the following environment variables before
building PyWin32 in release mode forces the generation of PDB files and
allows some limited debugging in MSDEV. This will help you get call stacks
and trace through the code, but variable values might become difficult to
inspect due to code optimizations:

set CL=/Zi
set LINK=/DEBUG

The install part of the code understands PDB files and will copy them to
the proper locations when they are present.

This is not necessary when building in debug mode.