OPC Server in Python

F. GEIGER fgeiger at datec.at
Mon May 17 04:28:46 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I consider writing a control application in Python (realtime stuff would run
on hw, i.e. a PCI card). If I decide to do so, I'd like to provide access to
the control app's data for OPC clients. This means writing an OPC Server
(OPC DA).

Could I do this in Python too? At the core an OPC Server is a COM server,
isn't it? Did anyone in this group do anything like that already? And if so,
are you willing to share your experience?

Right now I'm trying to get more info about OPC, i.e. there are some
additional issues like OPC Groups and OPC Items and Browsing etc.

Any books you would recommend? Other stuff to get me started quickly?

Any hint welcome!

Kind regards
Franz GEIGER