alternatives to making blocks like { } or other ??

Andrei Smirnov asmirnov1234567890 at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 09:18:18 EDT 2004

Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com> wrote in message news:<rfqdnYe2EsXaIjHdRVn-ig at powergate.ca>...
> Andrei Smirnov wrote:
>
> > i do really suffer. i have to use Perl and i know that i have no chance
> > to convince my new boss (very smart guy) to switch to Python because of
> > braces.
>
> Clearly your new boss is *not* very smart, or is insane.

there are many smart people who are not familiar with any aspect of
this
discussion (and other way around). so, don't make judgement based on
preferences.

> No sane, intelligent person would reject Python *solely* because it
> doesn't use braces.  Maybe that plus some other reasons, but not as the
> *only* reason...

sure it is not only reason. as usual the only reason: there are
a lot of code we wrote on perl and ...

well, there is such thing as initial impression. and python initial
impression
for (smart or stupid) guy who was using C for years is like swap brake
and gas
pedal in the car. why should anybody do this? the real fact is that
C-look is everywhere and it is affecting decision-making process in
this way.

BTW, people using computer languages not only for full-time job
(like myself till recently) or to build stupid websites but also to do
some usefull things :)

i took me about two days to get used to python indentation. and it is
actually
not very hard to convince your friend to do it. but things
are very different in any industry and when you interacting with your
boss.

i will be surprised if this arguments will convince anybody here but i
need
some relief before i get back to perl (that's part of my job).

> -Peter

Andrei