exceptions

Ng Pheng Siong ngps at netmemetic.com
Mon May 31 20:59:29 EDT 2004

According to Scott David Daniels  <Scott.Daniels at Acm.Org>:
> Calvin Spealman wrote:
> > Have to admit tho, a continue feature might be useful. Some languages have
> > this, don't they? The thing is, Where exactly to continue? Should you retry
> > whatever raised the exception, continue just after it, at the beginning of
> > that line, or what?
> >
> See this older thread:
>    <http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=3edd6118%241%40nntp0.pdx.net>
>
> Xerox's experience (in deliberately removing the "continue from
> exception" language feature) I found very instructive.

Are the bugs mainly in the implementation of that feature, or in user
code attempting to use said feature?

(I notice the older thread was one year ago. Is this an annual topic? ;-)

BTW, Common Lisp has this, called "restarts". There are about half a dozen
Common Lisp implementations and none appear to have gotten restarts
terribly wrong.

Cheers.

--
Ng Pheng Siong <ngps at netmemetic.com>