perl to python

Peter Hickman peter at semantico.com
Tue May 11 09:45:59 EDT 2004

Ville Vainio wrote:
> It's funny, but somehow I can't really think of cases that a
> specialized language would do better (ignoring the performace, which
> is rarely a concern in sysadmin tasks) than Python with some
> modules.

There is more to computer usage than sysadmin tasks, sed is an ideal
tool for processing large sets of large files (I have to handle small
files that are only 130 Mb in size, and I have around 140,000 of them).

Performance is not an issue you can ignore when you are handling large
amounts of data. Long may sed and awk live, just have to make sure that
the O'Reilly's are to hand because the syntax is a bugger.