How to change tkinter GUI look-and-feel?

Eric Brunel eric_brunel at despammed.com
Fri May 7 04:07:18 EDT 2004

Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> I saw some screenshots of mayavi.  Is there any way we can set tkinter to
> use the motif (or some other toolkit under Unix) rather than the default?
>
> jm

Motif *is* the default look for tk/Tkinter on Unix. I also saw some screenshots
of Mayavi, and I also noticed the NextStep look they had for their tk widgets. I
don't exactly know how they did that; I know there is a very old branch of tk
named tkstep that had this look, but it has been unsupported for years. Or maybe
they hacked the current Tkinter to support the new "tile" package for tk which
allows to apply themes to tk widgets? Maybe one of the MayaVi people would like
to enlighten us?

Anyway, downloading Mayavi sources and using your own Tkinter should not show
this look for the widgets, but the more "standard" Motif look.

HTH