Distributing a Python App

Allan Hughes nospan at thanks.com
Mon May 3 20:24:32 EDT 2004

Irmen de Jong wrote:

> Allan Hughes wrote:
>
>> I'm a python noob and have a question.
>>
>> I would like to write a little app and then share it with others.
>>
>> It is going to need to store potentially large amounts of data and
>> then generate reports based on that data.
>>
>> I could just write to a DB, but that wouldn't be very portable.
>

> Define "a DB".

MySQL for instance.

>> I would like a solution that will work 'out of the box' for any old
>> shmo who wants to use it without worrying about whether they have the
>> right DB.  How can I build this in?  Suggestion?  What have you done
>> in the past?
>

> I've successfully used plain text data files, standard Python pickles,
> and an (py)sqlite embedded database. None of them requires a full-blown
> database engine to be present. PySQLite is also a self-contained package.
> It depends on the amount and structure of your data what the best
> solution will be.

I'm looking to records detailing network status, which will be updated
frequently.  I then want to be able to retrieve and sort the data to
present reports based on that data.

PySQLite sounds like it might be a good solution.  I have never done any
kind of distribution of a desktop app before, so maybe this is a dumb
question.  I'm guessing I could use some sort of tool to package the
python app and PySQLite into one nice tidy package which the end user
could then install?

Or something like that...