Tkinter vs. wxPython?

Josiah Carlson jcarlson at uci.edu
Wed May 5 18:32:57 EDT 2004

>   For ease of learning and portability, and if you don't need 60fps
> videogame speed, Tkinter blows anything else for Python away.  Pick up
> John Grayson's _Python and Tkinter Programming_
> <http://www.manning.com/grayson/>, and don't look back.

Generally, people do best with the GUI toolkit that fits their mind.  I
tried learning Tkinter and failed miserably.  On the other hand, in a
few hours with wxPython, I had developed something I found useful.
Since then, I've developed 10-15 useful (to me anyways) apps using
wxPython in a very short amount of time.

In terms of the Tk vs. PyQt vs. PyGTK vs. wxPython vs. etc., I urge
everyone to give Tk 3 hours, wxPython 3 hours and perhaps PyQt or PyGTK
(if they are available on your platform) 3 hours.  After getting a taste
for them all, it should be relatively easy to decide which fits your
mind better.  All of this "mine is better than yours" bullshit isn't
even worth the few kbytes they are stored in.

  - Josiah