Stackless python and microthreads

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Thu May 13 18:21:13 EDT 2004

Continuations (which are the coolest things since programming was
invented) were forced out of Stackless Python around the end of version
2.0 for political reasons IIRC.  Current Stackless doesn't have
continuation support at all, so any version of micro-threads written to
use continuations is just dead-on-arrival for the current version.
Stackless 1.0 and 2.0 were only for pre-2.3 releases of Python AFAIK.

I would imagine that *someone* has written a Tasklets-based
micro-threading implementation for the new Stackless (after all,
micro-threading is AFAIK *the* major use-case for Stackless (save for
those of us who like to play around with new modes of programming)) and
you'll just need to poke around for that rewrite.

In a former life I got paid to work on extending the continuation-based
micro-thread implementation... continuations are the most awesome toys
you can imagine... we will all mourn their passing in time...

Good luck,
Mike

Matt Leslie wrote:

> I'm trying to use microthreads under stackless python, since they
> sound  like exactly what I am after,

> python23.dll, python23.lib, python23.exp

> I then downloaded the microthreads package from
> http://willware.net:8080/uthread.py

> ImportError: No module named continuation

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/
  blog: http://zope.vex.net/~mcfletch/plumbing/