generalizing the CGI case was: Re: mod_python confusion

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Sun May 30 10:08:22 EDT 2004

Troy Melhase wrote:
> Have you tried the Fast Python XML RPC library?
>
> 	http://sourceforge.net/projects/py-xmlrpc/

no I had not.  it does look like it's very promising although I am
hoping that there has been no release since last year means that the
code is extremely stable and bug free and not that the project is dead.
  It also means that now I need to find a pair of hands/mind to help
create the C lang side in emailrelay.  writing C/C++ using speech
recognition is like gargling broken glass.

> Also, you may want to host it on a server other than one from the standard
> library, such as Medusa, Twisted, or Zope.

I've tried to use those packages awhile back but unfortunately, at the
time I tried them, they were still pretty much a "bag of parts" and I
was not able to successfully installed them.  I am also reluctant to add
these tools to my environment because already I am counting on a fair
number of external pieces.

It's gotten to the point where I have created a toolkit which I call
"raging dormouse".  The download component allows you to fetch software
directly from web sites or through the source forge "click-a-link"
download maze automatically.  I then wrap the download component in a
shell script which unbundle's, runs installation procedure etc. for all
the components.

It's not quite as sophisticated as a portage script, rpm, or deb but it
is relatively platform independent if the platform is some form of UNIX
with bash and python. :-)

---eric