Real-time graphs

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Wed May 12 17:34:41 EDT 2004

     > I've trolled the lists, FAQs, and Net as a whole, but can't
     > find anything definitive to answer this.

     > We're looking for real-time graph capability (bar, line, etc),
     > so that we can display telemetry from a robot system.  There
     > are a bunch of packages out there, but many seem to provide
     > only static graphs (e.g. for scientific, financial data,
     > etc). Does anyone currently display real-time telemetry using
     > Python? Can anyone provide any suggestions?

You can do animated graphs with matplotlib - see the examples in the
src distribution anim.py, system_demo.py and dynamic_demo.py.  On my
computer (fairly fast) I can get 80-frames per second continually
redrawing the system_monitor figure after updating the data
(admittedly a fairly simple graph) using the antigrain/gtk backend.

I'm in the process of making some optimizations that will provide some
additional gains, but more work will be required to support real time
charting, especially for more complicated plots.  Depending on your
needs and size of plots, however, it may be fast enough.

Fortunately, someone has offered me a generous sum of money to
implement some real time charting capabilities, so I plan to do it
when I can squeeze out the time.  Conceivably I'll have a prototype
within a month, but can't be sure.

JDH