HTTP 1.1 pipelining

David Stockwell winexpert at hotmail.com
Tue May 18 07:20:56 EDT 2004

Hi Ivan,

Awhile back I looked into the HTTP 1.1 protocol and  what I understood
pipelining to be all about, is the ability of a client be able to handle
multiple requests on for a connection at a time.  An example pipeline might
be:

client sends a request to GET a page from the server.
Server sends page to client.
client parses the page.
client issues several GET requests for files (say perhaps images that would
be displayed in that page) without waiting for the response.
Server eventually sends all the requested files to client.

If the server doesn't support pipelining then the transaction would have to
be this way (to do the same thing)
client sends a request to GET a page from the server.
Server sends page to client.
client parses the page.

client sends a request to GET a file from the server.
server sends the file to client.
client renders the file (image).

client sends a request to GET a file from the server.
server sends the file to client.
client renders the file (image).
.
. repeat get/response until done.
.

Now if a gateway is involved and caching is taking place it gets a bit more
complicated.

Good Luck!

David
-------